Tuesday, December 11, 2018

Home Decorating Trends I Just Can't Get Behind

As my husband can tell you, I have lots of home renovation/ decorating ideas. Now that we own our home, I am planning and plotting even more for the day we feel like we have the time and money to tackle some of the big projects we have planned someday. But there are a few things people are currently going gaga over that I cannot get behind.

Penny tile or small hex tile I hate cleaning grout. A lot. And I don't really think I am alone in this. If you like cleaning grout, you should probably start a grout cleaning business because you would probably make a lot of money. So why would you want to add a massive amount of grout to your bathroom/laundry room/ whatever? I can't look at these little tiny tiles and see anything but a lot of work. Honestly, I have a very hard time looking at them and thinking they even look clean. 

Stainless Steel I know the tide is kind of turning on this one already for may of my reasons. Stainless steel shows finger prints. And water spots. And wipe marks. It just almost always looks a little dirty.

Grey I like the color grey. I really do. But it is going to make stuff look so super dated. We are considering changing out the carpet in the basement for some waterproof laminate. One of the big problems is that we don't want to go super dark and everything that is on the lighter side seems to have this greyish tinge to it. I can't bring myself to do that because it is going to make the floor so dated. Paint color, sure, that is easy to change. But I don't want people to be able to tell when I put in a floor based solely off the grey tinge it has.

DIY Painted Kitchen Cabinets I know someone somewhere has probably actually done it right. Someone somewhere has probably done it so well I would never know they were not painted originally. But many people many places have done a very bad job of it and kind of ruined the cabinets in the process. And then the cabinets collect grime in all the brush strokes that are showing and the paint eventually chips. And it is bad I tell you. Bad.

Clawfoot Tubs I know they look so old timey to so many. To me they look like work. Call me lazy, but I have no desire to have to clean under my tub. This also goes for any other freestanding tub that leaves gaps behind it as well as any vanity that results in space under or around it that is hard to clean in, but still necessary to clean in. Close them up!

Eliminating Bathtub/ shower combos in Favor of Huge Showers I like taking baths sometimes. But beyond that, I see no purpose to a giant shower. And yes, someday I might be old and struggle with getting into a shower if it is also a bathtub. But I am not there yet, and I don't plan to live my entire life like I am 90. And I really really think most houses should have at least 1 tub for that time you have to soak something huge, and any house that is likely to attract a family should for sure have at least one.

Eliminating Ceiling Fans I understand these are not super beautiful. But they are super functional, even nearly necessary in some places in the country. Remember, you don't just look at pictures of your home, you have to live there.

Fancy Kitchen Chandeliers If you are guessing this is going to have to do with my not wanting to clean something, you are very correct. So there is this stuff that collects in kitchens. It is a mixture of grease and dust and it likes to coat surfaces, like the top of oven hoods and whatever light fixture you have that is not flush to the ceiling. It is not fun to clean. I have no desire to complicate that cleaning process by adding complicated curves and more surfaces to my light fixtures.

I understand some of these things are pretty much just me being lazy. If you want to clean under your tub, by all means, have at it. But for me personally, I will probably never do any of these things.

No comments:

Post a Comment